8.4 crore children in India don’t go to school, 78 lakh forced to earn livelihood: Census

child-india-tv

The census data shows that as many as 8.4 crore children don’t go to school, whereas about 78 lakh children are forced to earn livelihood even as they attend schools, says a Times of India report.

While the number of working students is low as compared to the total population of students, the numbers are big enough to show the importance given to education by families and children themselves. They also indicate the increasing cost of education in the country, which should be ideally free for children aged between 5 and 17 years.

The Census data reveals that among the 78 lakh working students, 57 per cent are boys, while the remaining 43 per cent are girls.

See Also: BalakNama, A newspaper dedicated to, By and For the Child Laborers

Moreover, of the working students, some of them are as young as six years old and 68 per cent of them are into marginal work, which lasts for six months or less – predominantly agricultural or artisanal in nature, while the remaining 32 per cent are into main work.

However, many of them also serve as unskilled helpers in several enterprises.

On the other hand, 8.4 crore children – nearly 20 per cent of the age group that comes under the Right to Education Act – don’t attend school at all.

Among these 8.4 crore children, boys and girls make up nearly the same proportion.

However, the perception that children don’t go to school because they are forced to work doesn’t seem to be true as only 19 per cent of them are working somewhere.

(This story has not been edited by MaStyle Care staff and is unedited, unformatted feed from the India TV.)

Share Your Views In Comments Below

MaStyle Care Team

MaStyle Care is a non profit organization that works exclusively with nonprofit organizations and foundations. We know from experience that a clear brand and effective communications can help power an organization’s success.